In addition to being the name of the fearless leader of the Autobots, “Optimus Prime” translates from Latin to mean (roughly) “The Greatest, the First;” Needless to say, it’s a title that many a rapper would love to claim—and that’s exactly what GQ does on a stand out cut off his just-released, Booth-sponsored EP. Eric G. handles production duties on this ambitious joint, layering swirling synths over a head-noddable rhythm section as the UNC baller-turned-rap buzzmaker (Hey, I guess he kind of is a Transformer) expresses his determination to climb to the very top of the industry. Of course, even the most powerful shape-shifting robot in Cybertron can’t defeat the rap game’s all-too-numerous Decepticons on his lonesome; accordingly, GQ brings two of his most talented colleagues along for the ride. Booth fave (and Jamla labelmate) Rapsody blasts her haters in a closing verse packed with dizzying wordplay, and singer Bluu Suede contributes his studio-tweaked vocals to the record’s chorus. So, think GQ is justified in calling himself “The One”? If so, you can find plenty more elite tuneage where this came from on the artist’s new Trouble Man EP, available here for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 12/8/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"1st Period" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.