While most will undoubtedly agree that it’s been dope to watch ATL eccentric Cee-Lo Green ascend to the highest echelon of pop success over the last couple years, one question has remained on the lips of Dungeon Family devotees through it all: when is Goodie Mob going to start releasing new music again? Well, I’m happy to say that day has finally come; premiered yesterday on NBC’s The Voice, new single Fight to Win marks the beloved Southern quartet’s official return to the game after about eight years on hiatus. Rather than returning to the classic Goodie sound, though, the crew have retooled their style for maximum pop appeal—in fact, the record wouldn’t sound terribly out of place on a Cee-Lo solo effort. Here, produce Rico Wade‘s bombastic, keyboard boardwork sets the stage for towering inspirational verses from Mr. Calloway. Big Gipp, Khujo and T-Mos take center stage during the record’s majestic speed-soul climax, delivering declamatory bars through a soup of studio effects. So, does this single bode well for the 2012 incarnation of Goodie Mobb? Debate away—and keep it locked for further news and tunes leading up to the yet-unscheduled arrival of the group’s Age Against the Machine LP.
Written by richard on 04/24/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Is That You God?" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.