While most will undoubtedly agree that it’s been dope to watch ATL eccentric Cee-Lo Green ascend to the highest echelon of pop success over the last couple years, one question has remained on the lips of Dungeon Family devotees through it all: when is Goodie Mob going to start releasing new music again? Well, I’m happy to say that day has finally come; premiered yesterday on NBC’s The Voice, new single Fight to Win marks the beloved Southern quartet’s official return to the game after about eight years on hiatus. Rather than returning to the classic Goodie sound, though, the crew have retooled their style for maximum pop appeal—in fact, the record wouldn’t sound terribly out of place on a Cee-Lo solo effort. Here, produce Rico Wade‘s bombastic, keyboard boardwork sets the stage for towering inspirational verses from Mr. Calloway. Big Gipp, Khujo and T-Mos take center stage during the record’s majestic speed-soul climax, delivering declamatory bars through a soup of studio effects. So, does this single bode well for the 2012 incarnation of Goodie Mobb? Debate away—and keep it locked for further news and tunes leading up to the yet-unscheduled arrival of the group’s Age Against the Machine LP.
Written by richard on 04/24/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Is That You God?" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.