The massive buzz surrounding G.O.O.D. Music‘s forthcoming compilation confirms it: there ain’t nobody in the game hotter than Kanye‘s motherf**kin’ Clique. On the just-released follow-up to hit lead single Mercy, Yeezy schemes about how he’s gonna build himself and his homies into a force to rival Wu-Tang in their heyday. A natural progression from the minimal yet bumping boardwork that backed the record’s predecessor, Hit-Boy‘s slow-building mix of bass, muffled vocal samples, tension-fraught string loops and Funky President “Hey‘s set the mood for swagger-soaked bars from West and G.O.O.D. family member Big Sean, as well as Watch the Throne partner-in-rhyme Jay-Z. Will ‘Ye and his homies go down in hip-hop history as one of the dopest coteries to do it? Perhaps it’s too early to tell. The ambition displayed here, however, can only augur well for Cruel Summer, scheduled to be unleashed upon record stores and online retailers September 18.
Written by richard on 09/7/12
That Cruel Summer is ultimately disappointing is one of the biggest compliments I could possibly pay Kanye West. For almost a decade now Mr. West has trained us to think of his albums as landmarks, not simply albums, and...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Don't Like (Remix)" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.