On The Heart Part 2, the opening track off senior mixtape (O)verly (D)edicated, Kendrick Lamar set complex concepts aside to deliver some off-the-cuff bars about his spirituality, his approach to the craft and his experiences in the streets. GoldLink follows the Compton phenom’s example on newly-released promo cut The Heart. While this record features the same instrumental backdrop—a loop from The Roots’ A Peace of Light— as K. Dot’s record, the emcees’ rhymes are as different as the men themselves. In a dynamic delivery reminiscent of a gruffer Danny Brown, the Virginia repper describes how his parents’ neglect led to his embroilment in the hustle. He saves his most venomous bars for his absent father (“Very welcome pops, you’re the reason for my f**kin’ anger!”). This deeply personal jam isn’t part of a larger set, but fans should keep it locked for the latest on his yet-unscheduled forthcoming project, The God Complex.
Written by richard on 01/8/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Electronic Relaxation" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.