When a significant other walks out of your life, it often feels like the world has been drained of its former vibrancy, rendering it dreary and gray. Sure enough, Jason Caesar is suffering from an acute case of Colorblindness following his split with the woman he loves. On the second single from alt-R&B trio Göld Spex (following the reader-approved Lost in the Sound), crew members Austin Leeds and ATM cook up a subdued, yet driving synth beat to back the singer as he soulfully grapples with the breakup. Appropriately given the record’s theme, he peppers his verses with plenty of chromatic imagery: “I lost you in my purple haze / You left with him instead of me, I turned a special shade of green.” For this moody jam and much more, check out the Spex’s Refraction EP next Tuesday, when it hits The DJBooth for free streaming and download.
Written by richard on 02/27/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lost in the Sound" (2014)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.