I don’t want to say they saved the best for last, but the latest release off Gods’Illa‘s new project at the very least is on par with previous releases like You Don’t Have to Be a Star and Everybody. Bonus cut Saviours and Punishers is either a complex statement on the duality of man’s nature, or just a dope hip-hop banger (or both), but either way there’s no denying that producer Joe D.‘s stepped well outside the beat box by combining an angelic piano line and vocal sample with hellish percussion, a sonic juxtaposition that echoes the track’s title. Behind the mic emcees Acem, Truth and Powerful lay down some rhymes whose power lies in the power of the truth (sorry Acem, I couldn’t figure out how to work your name in), a style that Heltah Skeltah vet Sean Price knows only too well in a verse that hits harder than
Kimbo Price. If this cut, along with hosting duties handled by DJ Lo’ Down Loretta Brown (or, Erykah Badu for those that didn’t know), doesn’t inspire you to pick up a copy of the trio’s CPR: The Blend Tape, available now, frankly nothing will.
Written by Nathan S. on 10/3/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Protect It (Roddyrod Remix)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.