In a genre which often seems to hold fame (along with its cousin, fortune) as a measure of individual worth, it’s nice to be reminded that even if you’re a nobody, you’re still somebody. Unless you’re literally nobody, in which case I’m not too worried about your self-esteem. Back to the topic at hand, though: You Don’t Have to Be a Star, the latest feature from Gods’Illa, finds Acem, Truth and Powerful temporarily setting aside the city-stomping aggression of their previously work to offer some refreshingly down-to-earth meditations on the topic of romance. Over the soul-sampled boardwork of Unknown (yep, that’s his name – guess he’s one of those “known Unknowns”), adapted from Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr’s single of the same title, the Brooklyn representatives drop grown-and-sexy verses about their respective relationships. Emphasis on the “grown” – how many other emcees spit about going to the clinic for STD tests in order to protect a partner? Complete with Maimouna Youssef soulfully rich hook/bridge vocals, Be a Star is just one of many fresh cuts in store on the Erykah Badu-hosted CPR BlendTape, out later this month.
Written by richard on 05/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Protect It (Roddyrod Remix)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)