In a genre which often seems to hold fame (along with its cousin, fortune) as a measure of individual worth, it’s nice to be reminded that even if you’re a nobody, you’re still somebody. Unless you’re literally nobody, in which case I’m not too worried about your self-esteem. Back to the topic at hand, though: You Don’t Have to Be a Star, the latest feature from Gods’Illa, finds Acem, Truth and Powerful temporarily setting aside the city-stomping aggression of their previously work to offer some refreshingly down-to-earth meditations on the topic of romance. Over the soul-sampled boardwork of Unknown (yep, that’s his name – guess he’s one of those “known Unknowns”), adapted from Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr’s single of the same title, the Brooklyn representatives drop grown-and-sexy verses about their respective relationships. Emphasis on the “grown” – how many other emcees spit about going to the clinic for STD tests in order to protect a partner? Complete with Maimouna Youssef soulfully rich hook/bridge vocals, Be a Star is just one of many fresh cuts in store on the Erykah Badu-hosted CPR BlendTape, out later this month.
Written by richard on 05/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Protect It (Roddyrod Remix)" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.