It’s been precisely a decade since Oakland’s Goapele released her hit record Closer, but nothing has stopped the songbird from continuing to reach the masses with her soulful tunes. On her latest single selection, Undertow, Goapele proves that her six year absence from music (from 2005-2011) didn’t remove the soul from her soul. Backed by production from Malay, who also worked with Frank Ocean on Channel Orange, Goapele lays down her hypnotizing vocals while backed by a surprisingly bass heavy beat. Does Undertow have you yearning for your Goapele live music fix? If so, the singer will be performing later this summer in both New York City and Los Angeles, in addition to a feature part in upcoming film Sparkle. Undertow is featured on Goapele’s Break Of Dawn album, which was released last year via Decon.
Written by Danielle H. on 07/24/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: DMX Loses His Shit (In a Good Way), Droog Still Isn’t Nas
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.