It’s been precisely a decade since Oakland’s Goapele released her hit record Closer, but nothing has stopped the songbird from continuing to reach the masses with her soulful tunes. On her latest single selection, Undertow, Goapele proves that her six year absence from music (from 2005-2011) didn’t remove the soul from her soul. Backed by production from Malay, who also worked with Frank Ocean on Channel Orange, Goapele lays down her hypnotizing vocals while backed by a surprisingly bass heavy beat. Does Undertow have you yearning for your Goapele live music fix? If so, the singer will be performing later this summer in both New York City and Los Angeles, in addition to a feature part in upcoming film Sparkle. Undertow is featured on Goapele’s Break Of Dawn album, which was released last year via Decon.
Written by Danielle H. on 07/24/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.