Nostalgia’s a powerful thing, even for those whose early years were filled with hardship and struggle; new mixtape leak If I Never finds G.O.O.D. Music‘s GLC looking back to his days in the streets of Chicago, pondering the complex chain of events that allowed him to escape the hood and wondering if he could have chosen differently given the circumstances. As Gangsta L. Crisis meditates on his regrets, expressing gratitude for the opportunity to pursue his musical dreams, Trouble Man‘s passionate hook and backing vocals add to the record’s bittersweet tone. Keezo Kane‘s driving instrumental takes an equally soulful approach on the hook, accompanying the singer with sweeping strings and (what I believe is) accordion, but pares the beat back to a quiet, bass-driven groove when GLC steps up to the mic—the instrumental might actually be a little too subdued to make the most of his subtly melodic delivery. That’s a nitpick, though; this record’s heartfelt vibe may well earn the rapper some of his best Booth reviews to date. If you’re a fan, watch for GLC’s forthcoming, currently-untitled mixtape to hit the ‘net in the the last week of this month.
Written by richard on 05/14/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Ain't Even On Yet" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.