Nostalgia’s a powerful thing, even for those whose early years were filled with hardship and struggle; new mixtape leak If I Never finds G.O.O.D. Music‘s GLC looking back to his days in the streets of Chicago, pondering the complex chain of events that allowed him to escape the hood and wondering if he could have chosen differently given the circumstances. As Gangsta L. Crisis meditates on his regrets, expressing gratitude for the opportunity to pursue his musical dreams, Trouble Man‘s passionate hook and backing vocals add to the record’s bittersweet tone. Keezo Kane‘s driving instrumental takes an equally soulful approach on the hook, accompanying the singer with sweeping strings and (what I believe is) accordion, but pares the beat back to a quiet, bass-driven groove when GLC steps up to the mic—the instrumental might actually be a little too subdued to make the most of his subtly melodic delivery. That’s a nitpick, though; this record’s heartfelt vibe may well earn the rapper some of his best Booth reviews to date. If you’re a fan, watch for GLC’s forthcoming, currently-untitled mixtape to hit the ‘net in the the last week of this month.
Listen to More: GLC Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Ain't Even On Yet" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.