Nostalgia’s a powerful thing, even for those whose early years were filled with hardship and struggle; new mixtape leak If I Never finds G.O.O.D. Music‘s GLC looking back to his days in the streets of Chicago, pondering the complex chain of events that allowed him to escape the hood and wondering if he could have chosen differently given the circumstances. As Gangsta L. Crisis meditates on his regrets, expressing gratitude for the opportunity to pursue his musical dreams, Trouble Man‘s passionate hook and backing vocals add to the record’s bittersweet tone. Keezo Kane‘s driving instrumental takes an equally soulful approach on the hook, accompanying the singer with sweeping strings and (what I believe is) accordion, but pares the beat back to a quiet, bass-driven groove when GLC steps up to the mic—the instrumental might actually be a little too subdued to make the most of his subtly melodic delivery. That’s a nitpick, though; this record’s heartfelt vibe may well earn the rapper some of his best Booth reviews to date. If you’re a fan, watch for GLC’s forthcoming, currently-untitled mixtape to hit the ‘net in the the last week of this month.
Listen to More: GLC
Written by richard on 05/14/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Ain't Even On Yet" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.