Nostalgia’s a powerful thing, even for those whose early years were filled with hardship and struggle; new mixtape leak If I Never finds G.O.O.D. Music‘s GLC looking back to his days in the streets of Chicago, pondering the complex chain of events that allowed him to escape the hood and wondering if he could have chosen differently given the circumstances. As Gangsta L. Crisis meditates on his regrets, expressing gratitude for the opportunity to pursue his musical dreams, Trouble Man‘s passionate hook and backing vocals add to the record’s bittersweet tone. Keezo Kane‘s driving instrumental takes an equally soulful approach on the hook, accompanying the singer with sweeping strings and (what I believe is) accordion, but pares the beat back to a quiet, bass-driven groove when GLC steps up to the mic—the instrumental might actually be a little too subdued to make the most of his subtly melodic delivery. That’s a nitpick, though; this record’s heartfelt vibe may well earn the rapper some of his best Booth reviews to date. If you’re a fan, watch for GLC’s forthcoming, currently-untitled mixtape to hit the ‘net in the the last week of this month.
Written by richard on 05/14/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Ain't Even On Yet" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.