It’s been a minute since last we featured GLC on the solo tip—Cold as Ice hit our front page back in October of 2010—but the Chi-town gangster has been grinding H.A.M. in the meantime, pumping out street albums for the enjoyment of his online fanbase. The latest single off the artist’s third mixtape of 2011, Empty Town finds Leonard D. Harris in his usual fresh and fly form, lacing Blended Babies’ preternaturally chill, brass-sampled boardwork with larger-than-life braggadocio: “I rose from the cold just like Derrick Rose / I’m wakin’ up with hoes that I barely know.” After the headliner’s said his piece, Chi-town veteran Cold Hard (of Crucial Conflict fame) grabs the mic to do a little pimping of his own in a reedy middle verse, and ‘Bama phenom Yelawolf brings the record home with an uncharacteristically understated, but lyrically on-point closing 16. Complete with hook and instrumental assistance from Canadian rock duo The Carps, this slow-rolling banger is just one of many quality cuts to be found on GLC’s Eternal Sunshine of the Pimpin Mind LP, released this Tuesday and available now online.
Written by richard on 12/8/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Ain't Even On Yet" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.