In the last several years, the lines between R&B and hip-hop have been growing increasingly blurred; the “typical rap topics” of money, cars, jewels, and women have found their way into R&B joints, while female-oriented ballads are often rappers’ biggest hits. You couldn’t look for a better example of this phenomenon than Git Fresh—if their name change (they used to be called Deepside) didn’t tip you off to the fact that they had some genre-bending planned, take a listen to their brand-new single, on which they challenge all haters to either get their Swag Up or step aside. Household name Jamie Foxx steps into the spotlight on the second verse while Rick Ross dominates on the front and back ends. Complete with a beat by hip-hop veteran Bigg D, Swag Up is the latest chapter in the ongoing fusion of rap and R&B. Booth-heads need not hate—Git Fresh are simply trying to expand their fanbase by offering the best of both worlds.
Written by Burmy on 04/7/09
Submit your Rating
International Music Group/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Let's Make Love (Remix) ft. R. Kelly" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.