In the last several years, the lines between R&B and hip-hop have been growing increasingly blurred; the “typical rap topics” of money, cars, jewels, and women have found their way into R&B joints, while female-oriented ballads are often rappers’ biggest hits. You couldn’t look for a better example of this phenomenon than Git Fresh—if their name change (they used to be called Deepside) didn’t tip you off to the fact that they had some genre-bending planned, take a listen to their brand-new single, on which they challenge all haters to either get their Swag Up or step aside. Household name Jamie Foxx steps into the spotlight on the second verse while Rick Ross dominates on the front and back ends. Complete with a beat by hip-hop veteran Bigg D, Swag Up is the latest chapter in the ongoing fusion of rap and R&B. Booth-heads need not hate—Git Fresh are simply trying to expand their fanbase by offering the best of both worlds.
Written by Burmy on 04/7/09
International Music Group/Def Jam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Let's Make Love (Remix) ft. R. Kelly" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.