Life, as many have said, is like a Roller Coaster: it hurtles from dizzying highs to desolate lows, you never know what’s around the next corner, and when it’s over you can buy a souvenir photo to commemorate how ridiculous you looked during the scary parts. OK, that last past was just a guess – but, hey, anything’s possible. Anyway, the latest single off Gist The Essence‘s forthcoming full-length finds the NYC underground mainstay explaining his life philosophy by way of that oft-quoted simile. Backed by the reflective synth-piano boardwork of Sound Royale (producer of both of Gist’s previous features), the emcee steels himself for the twists and turns that lie ahead: “I hope I’m ready, cause it move fast / my head’s straight, don’t wanna catch a whiplash.” Cocoa Sarai the R&B songstress previously heard on Chris Faust‘s Book of Faust handles guest duties, topping the record off with some smooth chorus vocals. Those who enjoyed the ride will be happy to hear that there’s plenty more where this came from; Gist’s latest project, Summer Madness: The Recap dropped today and is available now online.
Written by richard on 09/9/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Be This Way (Freestyle)" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.