Life, as many have said, is like a Roller Coaster: it hurtles from dizzying highs to desolate lows, you never know what’s around the next corner, and when it’s over you can buy a souvenir photo to commemorate how ridiculous you looked during the scary parts. OK, that last past was just a guess – but, hey, anything’s possible. Anyway, the latest single off Gist The Essence‘s forthcoming full-length finds the NYC underground mainstay explaining his life philosophy by way of that oft-quoted simile. Backed by the reflective synth-piano boardwork of Sound Royale (producer of both of Gist’s previous features), the emcee steels himself for the twists and turns that lie ahead: “I hope I’m ready, cause it move fast / my head’s straight, don’t wanna catch a whiplash.” Cocoa Sarai the R&B songstress previously heard on Chris Faust‘s Book of Faust handles guest duties, topping the record off with some smooth chorus vocals. Those who enjoyed the ride will be happy to hear that there’s plenty more where this came from; Gist’s latest project, Summer Madness: The Recap dropped today and is available now online.
Written by richard on 09/9/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Be This Way (Freestyle)" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)