Life, as many have said, is like a Roller Coaster: it hurtles from dizzying highs to desolate lows, you never know what’s around the next corner, and when it’s over you can buy a souvenir photo to commemorate how ridiculous you looked during the scary parts. OK, that last past was just a guess – but, hey, anything’s possible. Anyway, the latest single off Gist The Essence‘s forthcoming full-length finds the NYC underground mainstay explaining his life philosophy by way of that oft-quoted simile. Backed by the reflective synth-piano boardwork of Sound Royale (producer of both of Gist’s previous features), the emcee steels himself for the twists and turns that lie ahead: “I hope I’m ready, cause it move fast / my head’s straight, don’t wanna catch a whiplash.” Cocoa Sarai the R&B songstress previously heard on Chris Faust‘s Book of Faust handles guest duties, topping the record off with some smooth chorus vocals. Those who enjoyed the ride will be happy to hear that there’s plenty more where this came from; Gist’s latest project, Summer Madness: The Recap dropped today and is available now online.
Written by richard on 09/9/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Be This Way (Freestyle)" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.