Having kicked off his career back when most of us were still learning how to walk, Gist The Essence has been grinding for at least five times as long as many other up-and-coming MCs. This September, he’s finally going to see his big Dreams come to fruition. Though Gist’s Booth debut, Be This Way, picked up mixed reviews from our readers, the lead single selection off his forthcoming debut album will likely meet a much warmer reception. Though the rapper’s rhymes make clear that he’s still Got ‘em Tight with his NYC underground fanbase, D-Major and J. Ethe‘s beat is the record’s true highlight—the co-producers’ heavy bass-synth instrumental sounds a little like what would happen if Cool & Dre and Jim Jonsin got together on a track. With appealing subject matter and a powerful beat, this cut is sure to get Gist tighter with the DJBooth.net readership, paving the way for his LP’s release in two months.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Be This Way (Freestyle)" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.