Having kicked off his career back when most of us were still learning how to walk, Gist The Essence has been grinding for at least five times as long as many other up-and-coming MCs. This September, he’s finally going to see his big Dreams come to fruition. Though Gist’s Booth debut, Be This Way, picked up mixed reviews from our readers, the lead single selection off his forthcoming debut album will likely meet a much warmer reception. Though the rapper’s rhymes make clear that he’s still Got ‘em Tight with his NYC underground fanbase, D-Major and J. Ethe‘s beat is the record’s true highlight—the co-producers’ heavy bass-synth instrumental sounds a little like what would happen if Cool & Dre and Jim Jonsin got together on a track. With appealing subject matter and a powerful beat, this cut is sure to get Gist tighter with the DJBooth.net readership, paving the way for his LP’s release in two months.
Written by Burmy on 07/7/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Be This Way (Freestyle)" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.