Having kicked off his career back when most of us were still learning how to walk, Gist The Essence has been grinding for at least five times as long as many other up-and-coming MCs. This September, he’s finally going to see his big Dreams come to fruition. Though Gist’s Booth debut, Be This Way, picked up mixed reviews from our readers, the lead single selection off his forthcoming debut album will likely meet a much warmer reception. Though the rapper’s rhymes make clear that he’s still Got ‘em Tight with his NYC underground fanbase, D-Major and J. Ethe‘s beat is the record’s true highlight—the co-producers’ heavy bass-synth instrumental sounds a little like what would happen if Cool & Dre and Jim Jonsin got together on a track. With appealing subject matter and a powerful beat, this cut is sure to get Gist tighter with the DJBooth.net readership, paving the way for his LP’s release in two months.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Be This Way (Freestyle)" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!