Much of Ginuwine‘s recent interview with DJ Z focused on the ways in which the singer has matured, both musically and personally, since ‘96’s The Bachelor (the most obvious being that G has been happily married for the past six years). Old habits, however, die hard—on this cut, included on the singer’s Last Chance EP (out now), as well as his forthcoming A Man’s Thoughts LP (set to drop on 6/23), G seems to have returned to the racier subject matter of his early work. The newly-released record finds Ginuwine kicking back at his local club, where he notices a certain “Pony-rustler” dancing seductively as she draws closer and closer to him—one more step, and there’s gonna be Trouble! Asylum labelmate Bun B sets the mood with an eight-bar opener (woulda been nice if he had more bars closer to the end), but it’s Mr. Dante “Inferno” Jackson’s beat that elevates Trouble to club-scorcher status. Bottom line: Ginuwine knows how to appeal to longtime fans and newcomers alike—if he can maintain that appeal throughout A Man’s Thoughts, solid reviews are sure to follow.
Written by Burmy on 06/11/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pressure ft. Ginuwine" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.