As the years go by we all lose something; our looks, relationships, but in Ginuwine’s case, it’s been concrete footing in the r&b game. Despite the release of his 2009 album, A Man’s Thoughts, Elgin Lumpkin hasn’t found the same success he had in the ‘90s. Maybe that’s not the fault of the man, but changes in the genre as a whole. While G’s going a little more adult contemporary, youngsters are walking the same trail he blazed with Pony, leaving him in No Country for Old Singers. His latest single, What Could Have Been, is essentially a more gospel version of his previous offering, Last Chance. Over easily melodic production from St. Nick, G weaves through the same pleas for change and yet again compares an element of his relationship to the current President of the United States. It’s not much of a stretch, but it works, although long time fans will likely keep clamoring for a reunion with Timbaland to spice up his career. Ginuwine’s upcoming eponymous release Elgin (that’s his name folks) will find its way into stores February 2011. Here’s hoping there’s more variety in his ballads though.
Written by Brando on 10/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pressure ft. Ginuwine" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)