As the years go by we all lose something; our looks, relationships, but in Ginuwine’s case, it’s been concrete footing in the r&b game. Despite the release of his 2009 album, A Man’s Thoughts, Elgin Lumpkin hasn’t found the same success he had in the ‘90s. Maybe that’s not the fault of the man, but changes in the genre as a whole. While G’s going a little more adult contemporary, youngsters are walking the same trail he blazed with Pony, leaving him in No Country for Old Singers. His latest single, What Could Have Been, is essentially a more gospel version of his previous offering, Last Chance. Over easily melodic production from St. Nick, G weaves through the same pleas for change and yet again compares an element of his relationship to the current President of the United States. It’s not much of a stretch, but it works, although long time fans will likely keep clamoring for a reunion with Timbaland to spice up his career. Ginuwine’s upcoming eponymous release Elgin (that’s his name folks) will find its way into stores February 2011. Here’s hoping there’s more variety in his ballads though.
Listen to More: Ginuwine
Written by Brando on 10/10/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Pressure ft. Ginuwine" (2007)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.