If you’re looking for trendy gimmicks, look elsewhere; Booth newcomer Gino the Ghost is all about the fundamentals. On his second single, the follow-up to the non-featured Next Day, the 20-year-old Michigan buzzmaker takes it “back to the Basics,” delivering dope, braggadocious bars over a string-laced boom-bap beat by Kinetic. The headliner’s ”keep it simple, stupid,” approach to his craft doesn’t stop him from enlisting the services of a couple talented Wolverine State colleagues. Ann Arbor wunderkind Isaac Castor lends his self-assured flow to the middle verse, dropping a Breaking Bad reference that didn’t make it into his recently-featured Heisenberg: “Highly explosive, Gus Fring in the nursing home.” Fellow Booth regular Jon Connor, fresh off his signing to Aftermath, delivers an aggressive closing 16. Feeling it? Then stay tuned for release details on Gino’s next project, The Keynote, which currently lacks a drop date.
Written by richard on 10/11/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.