There’s restlessly creative, and then there’s… well… then there’s Gilbere Forte’. No longer content to switch everything up from one Booth feature to the next, the Philadelphia up-and-comer has decided to make his latest mixtape freestyle a two-fer. For the first half of the track, the artist borrows production from an indisputable classic, Public Enemy’s Lost at Birth. Just when you’ve begun to vibe out to the Imperial Grand Ministers of Funk‘s gritty, old-school boardwork, though, Forte pulls the rug right out from under your, um, ears, and switches to something a little more recent: a blistering, breakbeat-driven groove drawn from Perth, Australia-based psychedelic rock group Tame Impala‘s Alter Ego. While the roughly four-minute 30-second freestyle, complete with a silent transition and an instrumental outro, may leave fans wishing Gilbere Forte had allotted himself a little more mic time, the end result is an undeniably exhilarating experiment. Needless to say, fans can expect plenty more surprises on 87 Dreams, scheduled to hit the ‘net on the 20th.
Written by richard on 07/15/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.