There’s restlessly creative, and then there’s… well… then there’s Gilbere Forte’. No longer content to switch everything up from one Booth feature to the next, the Philadelphia up-and-comer has decided to make his latest mixtape freestyle a two-fer. For the first half of the track, the artist borrows production from an indisputable classic, Public Enemy’s Lost at Birth. Just when you’ve begun to vibe out to the Imperial Grand Ministers of Funk‘s gritty, old-school boardwork, though, Forte pulls the rug right out from under your, um, ears, and switches to something a little more recent: a blistering, breakbeat-driven groove drawn from Perth, Australia-based psychedelic rock group Tame Impala‘s Alter Ego. While the roughly four-minute 30-second freestyle, complete with a silent transition and an instrumental outro, may leave fans wishing Gilbere Forte had allotted himself a little more mic time, the end result is an undeniably exhilarating experiment. Needless to say, fans can expect plenty more surprises on 87 Dreams, scheduled to hit the ‘net on the 20th.
Listen to More: Gilbere Forte'
Written by richard on 07/15/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.