There’s restlessly creative, and then there’s… well… then there’s Gilbere Forte’. No longer content to switch everything up from one Booth feature to the next, the Philadelphia up-and-comer has decided to make his latest mixtape freestyle a two-fer. For the first half of the track, the artist borrows production from an indisputable classic, Public Enemy’s Lost at Birth. Just when you’ve begun to vibe out to the Imperial Grand Ministers of Funk‘s gritty, old-school boardwork, though, Forte pulls the rug right out from under your, um, ears, and switches to something a little more recent: a blistering, breakbeat-driven groove drawn from Perth, Australia-based psychedelic rock group Tame Impala‘s Alter Ego. While the roughly four-minute 30-second freestyle, complete with a silent transition and an instrumental outro, may leave fans wishing Gilbere Forte had allotted himself a little more mic time, the end result is an undeniably exhilarating experiment. Needless to say, fans can expect plenty more surprises on 87 Dreams, scheduled to hit the ‘net on the 20th.
Listen to More: Gilbere Forte' Written by richard
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.