From KRS-ONE to Young Jeezy, Jay-Z to E-40 and everyone in between, hip-hop has always been about repping the city that raised you, so it should be no surprise that constant Philly representative Gilbere Forte has released his new, geographically focused cut, My City To Your City. Fresh off performing at DJBooth’s Give Back charity show for the J. Dilla Foundation, on City Forte recruits Don Cannon (Cannon…Cannon….Cannon….) to handle production duties and Don responds with a triumphant, heavily-horn laden beat guaranteed to get your blood pumping. On the lyrical tip this isn’t solely a PA affair as Gilbere travels to recruit Brooklyn native and frustrating-to-spell rapper CurT@!n$, who trades verses with the headliner with high energy, high-caliber flows. As they say, it’s not where you’re from, it’s where you’re going, and right now I’m going to sit right here and listen to My City on repeat. While this stand-alone release isn’t currently attached to a larger project, those wanting to hear more from Forte can check his recently released Eyes of Veritas and/or Philadelphia Freshman mixtapes.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/16/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.