It must feel good to be Adele right now; not only is the UK soul singer beloved by listeners on both sides of the Atlantic, but of late she’s become one of hip-hop’s foremost cross-genre crushes, inspiring an out-the-box remix by MeLo-X and countless other reinterpretations of her work. The latest artists to pay tribute to the chanteuse by way of an unofficial remix, the restlessly-creative Gilbere Forte’ and beatsmith Twice as Nice have hooked up to put their own spin on hit single Set Fire to the Rain. Over Twice’s tweaked take on Fraser T. Smith‘s driving piano/guitar backdrop, the Philly phenom (and freestyle series contributor) digs down deep, matching the heartbroken instrumental with a Biblically-proportioned outpouring of romantic frustration: “My love gave birth to the feeling that this was God’s plan / Earth, wind and fire, powers of the land…” While I shudder to imagine the relationship troubles that could have inspired Forte’s larger-than-life laments, the end result is undeniably powerful. But enough out of me – do you think the collaborators did their source material justice? Debate away – and, as always, keep it locked for the latest.
Listen to More: Gilbere Forte'
Written by richard on 03/24/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.