It must feel good to be Adele right now; not only is the UK soul singer beloved by listeners on both sides of the Atlantic, but of late she’s become one of hip-hop’s foremost cross-genre crushes, inspiring an out-the-box remix by MeLo-X and countless other reinterpretations of her work. The latest artists to pay tribute to the chanteuse by way of an unofficial remix, the restlessly-creative Gilbere Forte’ and beatsmith Twice as Nice have hooked up to put their own spin on hit single Set Fire to the Rain. Over Twice’s tweaked take on Fraser T. Smith‘s driving piano/guitar backdrop, the Philly phenom (and freestyle series contributor) digs down deep, matching the heartbroken instrumental with a Biblically-proportioned outpouring of romantic frustration: “My love gave birth to the feeling that this was God’s plan / Earth, wind and fire, powers of the land…” While I shudder to imagine the relationship troubles that could have inspired Forte’s larger-than-life laments, the end result is undeniably powerful. But enough out of me – do you think the collaborators did their source material justice? Debate away – and, as always, keep it locked for the latest.
Written by richard on 03/24/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.