It must feel good to be Adele right now; not only is the UK soul singer beloved by listeners on both sides of the Atlantic, but of late she’s become one of hip-hop’s foremost cross-genre crushes, inspiring an out-the-box remix by MeLo-X and countless other reinterpretations of her work. The latest artists to pay tribute to the chanteuse by way of an unofficial remix, the restlessly-creative Gilbere Forte’ and beatsmith Twice as Nice have hooked up to put their own spin on hit single Set Fire to the Rain. Over Twice’s tweaked take on Fraser T. Smith‘s driving piano/guitar backdrop, the Philly phenom (and freestyle series contributor) digs down deep, matching the heartbroken instrumental with a Biblically-proportioned outpouring of romantic frustration: “My love gave birth to the feeling that this was God’s plan / Earth, wind and fire, powers of the land…” While I shudder to imagine the relationship troubles that could have inspired Forte’s larger-than-life laments, the end result is undeniably powerful. But enough out of me – do you think the collaborators did their source material justice? Debate away – and, as always, keep it locked for the latest.
Written by richard on 03/24/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.