The skittering Black Chukkas might not have been the first track from Gilbere Forte’ we posted on DJBooth, that honor goes to My Time, but it was the first track that made me truly pay attention to the Philly emcee. In the months since Chukkas first dropped Gilbere’s put out approximately 70 billion new songs (I said approximately) and established himself as one of the game’s rising stars. In fact, the man’s now got enough weight to call in some serious firepower for a remix, firepower that today arrives in the unlikely but dope form of Asher Roth and Bun B. Frequent collaborator Raak’s impossible-to-copy, deconstructionist beat remains largely untouched, allowing Ash to deliver some of his signature mellow flows (bonus points for the Jim Plunkett reference), Bun to get trill like only an OG can (bonus points for the Nike Air Mags reference) and Forte to prove that he belongs on the same cut as such heady company (bonus points for the Harold Walker reference). I don’t know if more high profile collabs await us when Forte’s upcoming album Some Dreams Never Sleep EP drops next week, but in the meantime this is more than enough to hold us over.
Written by Nathan S. on 09/21/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.