When discussing pure ability to rap one of the emcees that deserves to be on the short list of “flawless” is Gift of Gab. From his eargasm causing rhymes on Alphabet Aerobics and Chemical Calisthenics to his soulful and uplifting approach on First In Flight, the California emcee has been blistering microphones for quite a long time, either as a part of his group Blackalicious or solo. After a brief break from the game, Gab is back with a new song called Protocol featuring Samantha Kravitz, from his forthcoming solo album The Next Logical Progression, due out March 27 on Quannum Projects. Gab, whose voice is showing slight signs of aging and his years of vocal performance, takes a few minutes of time to address the new school of largely talentless hacks with a rhythm riding flow that is simple in Gab terms, but probably confounding to the Wiz Khalifa’s, Lil B’s, and Gucci Mane’s of the world. This more than accomplishes its task and should have those who hear it looking at their calendar towards that March 27 release date.
Written by JC Poppe on 01/6/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.