When discussing pure ability to rap one of the emcees that deserves to be on the short list of “flawless” is Gift of Gab. From his eargasm causing rhymes on Alphabet Aerobics and Chemical Calisthenics to his soulful and uplifting approach on First In Flight, the California emcee has been blistering microphones for quite a long time, either as a part of his group Blackalicious or solo. After a brief break from the game, Gab is back with a new song called Protocol featuring Samantha Kravitz, from his forthcoming solo album The Next Logical Progression, due out March 27 on Quannum Projects. Gab, whose voice is showing slight signs of aging and his years of vocal performance, takes a few minutes of time to address the new school of largely talentless hacks with a rhythm riding flow that is simple in Gab terms, but probably confounding to the Wiz Khalifa’s, Lil B’s, and Gucci Mane’s of the world. This more than accomplishes its task and should have those who hear it looking at their calendar towards that March 27 release date.
Written by JC Poppe on 01/6/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.