Upon a first glance at his Booth track record, GhostWridah seems to tackle the same topics as a great many other rappers: cash, luxury goods, the pursuit of fame, and so on. What, then, sets the Miami phenom apart from the pack? A little something called substance. On Window Cracked, the official lead single off his forthcoming street album, the freestyle alum once again showcases his knack for digging deep and rejuvenating rap’s most commonly-attacked themes – in this case, that of inner-city poverty. Rem handles production duties, serving up the lushest funk/soul sampled beat I’ve heard in a minute (complete with a dead prez-sampled chorus courtesy of DJ NvS Styles) as the Panhandle State repper reports live from the mean streets, proving that, as much as he’s enjoying the fruits of his labors, success has neither taken the ‘hood out the man nor the man out the ‘hood. The ideal wingman for such a journey (and a fellow freestyle series contributor), Freeway rides shotgun, lacing the front with some characteristically gruff flows. Digging this dispatch from the block? There’s plenty more where this came from on Ghost’s DJBooth-hosted American Alien mixtape, scheduled to drop April 25.
Written by richard on 03/27/11
Submit your Rating
The L.Y.F.E Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Born & Raised ft. Shawty Lo" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.