What’s changed in the game since ‘96, when an enterprising young emcee by the name of Shawn Carter announced (in the words of his Big Apple neighbor, Nas), “I’m out for dead presidents to represent me.”? Judging by Future Presidents, a newly-reworked version of the classic cut by a trio of Booth favorites, the answer is “everything and nothing”– while rap hopefuls like Miami’s Ghostwridah and Philly reppers STS and Sean Falyon have to grind as hard as ever to make ends meet, the successes of those who preceded them have inspired newcomers to aim for higher plateaus than ever before. Producer Rem strikes a fitting balance between old and new on the production tip, cooking up an ambient, synth-laced take of Ski‘s moody instrumental as the freestyle series alumni share their insights on the hustle. The result, as I think you’ll agree, is simply too dope to be confined to one project – which is why it’ll be appearing on three: Falyon’s SFBE2: West Philly to the World, ‘Wridah’s Angels & Demons and a yet-untitled set by STS. Keep it locked for further details on each!
Written by richard on 12/19/10
Submit your Rating
The L.Y.F.E Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Born & Raised ft. Shawty Lo" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.