We could all name a few rappers who will decry materialistic excess on one joint, only to conveniently forget their principles when it comes time for the obligatory cash-themed record. But could GhostWridah, the Miami native who spit so eloquently about the perils of unchecked consumerism on Red Bottoms, really release a jam that’s all about The Money? Well, he could have, but I’m happy to say he hasn’t. Instead, this potential mixtape cut finds the freestyle alum taking a critical, if not outright cynical stance on the paper chase. With Stephen A. Clark‘s reverb-drenched guitar stabs ringing in the background he also steps out from behind the boards to contribute a haunting hook, Ghost details a world where everything has its price, right down to one’s most deeply-held values. Not that he himself is immune: “Mama told me the love of money was Satan’s trap / Well, if that’s so I should have been to hell twice.” The end result is as fresh and insightful as anything Ghost’s brought us to date – but I’ll let readers have the final say on whether it’s mixtape material. In any case, fans won’t want to miss the Booth-hosted American Alien, due out April 25.
Written by richard on 03/6/11
Submit your Rating
The L.Y.F.E Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Born & Raised ft. Shawty Lo" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.