We could all name a few rappers who will decry materialistic excess on one joint, only to conveniently forget their principles when it comes time for the obligatory cash-themed record. But could GhostWridah, the Miami native who spit so eloquently about the perils of unchecked consumerism on Red Bottoms, really release a jam that’s all about The Money? Well, he could have, but I’m happy to say he hasn’t. Instead, this potential mixtape cut finds the freestyle alum taking a critical, if not outright cynical stance on the paper chase. With Stephen A. Clark‘s reverb-drenched guitar stabs ringing in the background he also steps out from behind the boards to contribute a haunting hook, Ghost details a world where everything has its price, right down to one’s most deeply-held values. Not that he himself is immune: “Mama told me the love of money was Satan’s trap / Well, if that’s so I should have been to hell twice.” The end result is as fresh and insightful as anything Ghost’s brought us to date – but I’ll let readers have the final say on whether it’s mixtape material. In any case, fans won’t want to miss the Booth-hosted American Alien, due out April 25.
The L.Y.F.E Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Born & Raised ft. Shawty Lo" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.