We could all name a few rappers who will decry materialistic excess on one joint, only to conveniently forget their principles when it comes time for the obligatory cash-themed record. But could GhostWridah, the Miami native who spit so eloquently about the perils of unchecked consumerism on Red Bottoms, really release a jam that’s all about The Money? Well, he could have, but I’m happy to say he hasn’t. Instead, this potential mixtape cut finds the freestyle alum taking a critical, if not outright cynical stance on the paper chase. With Stephen A. Clark‘s reverb-drenched guitar stabs ringing in the background he also steps out from behind the boards to contribute a haunting hook, Ghost details a world where everything has its price, right down to one’s most deeply-held values. Not that he himself is immune: “Mama told me the love of money was Satan’s trap / Well, if that’s so I should have been to hell twice.” The end result is as fresh and insightful as anything Ghost’s brought us to date – but I’ll let readers have the final say on whether it’s mixtape material. In any case, fans won’t want to miss the Booth-hosted American Alien, due out April 25.
Written by richard on 03/6/11
Submit your Rating
The L.Y.F.E Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Born & Raised ft. Shawty Lo" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. PJ - Mazinger
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (October 2014)
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.