Sick and tired of the same-old jams that dominate both the mainstream and the underground, three hip-hop heavyweights have joined forces to shake up the status quo. The first Booth feature from the Get Busy Committee finds veteran emcees Ryu (Styles of Beyond, Demigodz) and Apathy (Demigodz, Army of the Pharaohs) and rapper/superproducer Scoop Deville Chillin Out and Maxin outside the school, shooting some hoops – among other things. Over Scoop and Apathy’s retro-informed, cymbal-heavy groove (complete with a few hilariously reconfigured samples from the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme), the threesome deliver bars laced with tongue-in-cheek threats and cleverly convoluted boasts. (“We bring the noise like Flava, we’re major/ you’re minor like Southeast Asia – I’m China”) Craving more? The GBC’s self-produced, self-funded and self-released debut set, Uzi Does It is out now in a number of unusual forms – T-Shirt, collectible toy, uzi-shaped USB stick... – and is set to hit Amazon, iMusic and all other online retailers Nov. 10.
Written by richard on 11/5/09
Submit your Rating
Tokyo Sex Whale Records
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Dancin' on Ya Grave" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.