On the last release off his forthcoming, Booth-sponsored street album, Gerald Walker positioned himself as a bastion of realness in a world of fakes. Of course, it’s easy to keep it one-hundred on a song about keeping it one-hundred—the challenge is staying genuine in all facets of life. Making its world premiere right here on our front page, final project leak Take This to Your Heart… finds the Windy City repper delivering some real talk regarding the crazy world around him. Over Kuddie Fresh‘s mellow, flute-laced production, the emcee speaks out on the many modern trends that have been troubling him, expressing his pessimism about living in a world where nothing is true and everything is permitted: “Do whatever you desire, f*ck God, we don’t need him. / Well, wait—people already do that. / It’s hard for me to swallow, I ain’t even tryin’ to do that / But I don’t see it it getting’ better, Che Guevara already knew that / But I just wanna chill and Take Five like Dave Brubeck.” Complete with Walker’s own soulful chorus vocals, this contemplative cut is just one of many bangers set for inclusion on The Other Half of Letting Go, arriving on our mixtape page for free streaming and download tomorrow, Tuesday, September 20 at midnight.
Written by richard on 09/19/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.