On the last release off his forthcoming, Booth-sponsored street album, Gerald Walker positioned himself as a bastion of realness in a world of fakes. Of course, it’s easy to keep it one-hundred on a song about keeping it one-hundred—the challenge is staying genuine in all facets of life. Making its world premiere right here on our front page, final project leak Take This to Your Heart… finds the Windy City repper delivering some real talk regarding the crazy world around him. Over Kuddie Fresh‘s mellow, flute-laced production, the emcee speaks out on the many modern trends that have been troubling him, expressing his pessimism about living in a world where nothing is true and everything is permitted: “Do whatever you desire, f*ck God, we don’t need him. / Well, wait—people already do that. / It’s hard for me to swallow, I ain’t even tryin’ to do that / But I don’t see it it getting’ better, Che Guevara already knew that / But I just wanna chill and Take Five like Dave Brubeck.” Complete with Walker’s own soulful chorus vocals, this contemplative cut is just one of many bangers set for inclusion on The Other Half of Letting Go, arriving on our mixtape page for free streaming and download tomorrow, Tuesday, September 20 at midnight.
Written by richard on 09/19/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.