If you haven’t guessed from the title, Gerald Walker‘s first feature centers around that most classic of hip-hop pastimes: rolling through the city streets with a couple friends and a few fine women, enjoying some quality weed. Though the concept’s not a new one, the execution couldn’t be better calibrated to turn heads in the Booth. While Walker’s mellow bars don’t fail to impress, it’s the other three collaborators’ contributions that’ll really get readers talking; High finds Slot-A once again manning the boards as Bullet and Add-2 rock the mic, but his beat has little in common with either the futuristic tracks he’s cooked up for the former or the Kanye-influenced boardwork with which he backed the latter’s Booth debut—the piano-synth instrumental he delivers here actually has more of a West Coast flavor, and the guest emcees come with (relatively) chilled-out rhymes to match. An impressive show of versatility from three familiar faces and the perfect introduction to a promising newcomer, this cut can be found on the Gerald Walker’s Evening Out With Your Girlfriend LP, set to drop September 8th.
Written by richard on 08/5/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ready to GO!" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.