During his recent trip to Africa, Cali underground mainstay Planet Asia picked up more than the usual assortment of souvenirs; his travels also left him with a treasure trove of knowledge and wisdom. On new promo single Thyself, the emcee shares a few of those pearls with listeners. Over frequent behind-the-boards collaborator Gensu Dean‘s midtempo breakbeat, fluid bassline and guitar/keyboard flourishes, the emcee preaches a gospel of equality and self-realization. Assisting on the guest tip, David Banner expresses his pride in his heritage on verse two, and Tragedy Khadafi follows him up with a 16 drawing on the teachings of the Nation of Islam. Complete with a dope, beat-switched outro, this joint can be found on Planet Asia and Gensu Dean on collaborative album Abrasions, released in February via Mello Music Group.
Written by richard on 05/9/13
The Grand Imperial Gensu Dean and West Coast legend Planet Asia have teamed up for Abrasions, a frantic ride through 17 tracks of unbridled Hip-Hop. Planet Asia is at his best spitting bar after bar of lyrical fire, filled...
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Alice in Wonderland" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.