During his recent trip to Africa, Cali underground mainstay Planet Asia picked up more than the usual assortment of souvenirs; his travels also left him with a treasure trove of knowledge and wisdom. On new promo single Thyself, the emcee shares a few of those pearls with listeners. Over frequent behind-the-boards collaborator Gensu Dean‘s midtempo breakbeat, fluid bassline and guitar/keyboard flourishes, the emcee preaches a gospel of equality and self-realization. Assisting on the guest tip, David Banner expresses his pride in his heritage on verse two, and Tragedy Khadafi follows him up with a 16 drawing on the teachings of the Nation of Islam. Complete with a dope, beat-switched outro, this joint can be found on Planet Asia and Gensu Dean on collaborative album Abrasions, released in February via Mello Music Group.
Written by richard on 05/9/13
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Alice in Wonderland" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.