During his recent trip to Africa, Cali underground mainstay Planet Asia picked up more than the usual assortment of souvenirs; his travels also left him with a treasure trove of knowledge and wisdom. On new promo single Thyself, the emcee shares a few of those pearls with listeners. Over frequent behind-the-boards collaborator Gensu Dean‘s midtempo breakbeat, fluid bassline and guitar/keyboard flourishes, the emcee preaches a gospel of equality and self-realization. Assisting on the guest tip, David Banner expresses his pride in his heritage on verse two, and Tragedy Khadafi follows him up with a 16 drawing on the teachings of the Nation of Islam. Complete with a dope, beat-switched outro, this joint can be found on Planet Asia and Gensu Dean on collaborative album Abrasions, released in February via Mello Music Group.
Written by richard on 05/9/13
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Alice in Wonderland" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)