During his recent trip to Africa, Cali underground mainstay Planet Asia picked up more than the usual assortment of souvenirs; his travels also left him with a treasure trove of knowledge and wisdom. On new promo single Thyself, the emcee shares a few of those pearls with listeners. Over frequent behind-the-boards collaborator Gensu Dean‘s midtempo breakbeat, fluid bassline and guitar/keyboard flourishes, the emcee preaches a gospel of equality and self-realization. Assisting on the guest tip, David Banner expresses his pride in his heritage on verse two, and Tragedy Khadafi follows him up with a 16 drawing on the teachings of the Nation of Islam. Complete with a dope, beat-switched outro, this joint can be found on Planet Asia and Gensu Dean on collaborative album Abrasions, released in February via Mello Music Group.
Written by richard on 05/9/13
The Grand Imperial Gensu Dean and West Coast legend Planet Asia have teamed up for Abrasions, a frantic ride through 17 tracks of unbridled Hip-Hop. Planet Asia is at his best spitting bar after bar of lyrical fire, filled...
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Alice in Wonderland" (2012)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.