It’s a tough life out there for a fairy tale heroine—even if you’re not being menaced by a wolf disguised as your Grandma, slaving away at the behest of an evil stepfamily, or escaping from a witch’s tower using your own hair as a rope, you have to constantly be on the lookout for poison apples, enchanted spindles and other everyday objects lying in wait to f*ck up your day. On Alice in Wonderland, the first Booth feature from Gensu Dean, David Banner offers to shelter a certain shawty from life’s perils, magical and otherwise. Over the Mello Music Group beatsmith’s whip-ready production, featuring Southern-fried guitar twangs, a liquid bassline and sampled female sighs, the Mississippi rapper/producer juxtaposes references to famous female characters from children’s stories with the all-too-real threats facing women and girls in today’s society—including desperate poverty, prosititution and sexual abuse. If this album standout has caught your interest, you can hear plenty more where Alice came from on Gensu Dean’s Lo-Fi Fingahz LP, featuring additional guest appearances by Large Professor, Roc Marciano, DMC and more!
Written by richard on 04/5/12
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kendrick Lamar - i
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.