It’s a tough life out there for a fairy tale heroine—even if you’re not being menaced by a wolf disguised as your Grandma, slaving away at the behest of an evil stepfamily, or escaping from a witch’s tower using your own hair as a rope, you have to constantly be on the lookout for poison apples, enchanted spindles and other everyday objects lying in wait to f*ck up your day. On Alice in Wonderland, the first Booth feature from Gensu Dean, David Banner offers to shelter a certain shawty from life’s perils, magical and otherwise. Over the Mello Music Group beatsmith’s whip-ready production, featuring Southern-fried guitar twangs, a liquid bassline and sampled female sighs, the Mississippi rapper/producer juxtaposes references to famous female characters from children’s stories with the all-too-real threats facing women and girls in today’s society—including desperate poverty, prosititution and sexual abuse. If this album standout has caught your interest, you can hear plenty more where Alice came from on Gensu Dean’s Lo-Fi Fingahz LP, featuring additional guest appearances by Large Professor, Roc Marciano, DMC and more!
Written by richard on 04/5/12
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.