It’s a tough life out there for a fairy tale heroine—even if you’re not being menaced by a wolf disguised as your Grandma, slaving away at the behest of an evil stepfamily, or escaping from a witch’s tower using your own hair as a rope, you have to constantly be on the lookout for poison apples, enchanted spindles and other everyday objects lying in wait to f*ck up your day. On Alice in Wonderland, the first Booth feature from Gensu Dean, David Banner offers to shelter a certain shawty from life’s perils, magical and otherwise. Over the Mello Music Group beatsmith’s whip-ready production, featuring Southern-fried guitar twangs, a liquid bassline and sampled female sighs, the Mississippi rapper/producer juxtaposes references to famous female characters from children’s stories with the all-too-real threats facing women and girls in today’s society—including desperate poverty, prosititution and sexual abuse. If this album standout has caught your interest, you can hear plenty more where Alice came from on Gensu Dean’s Lo-Fi Fingahz LP, featuring additional guest appearances by Large Professor, Roc Marciano, DMC and more!
Written by richard on 04/5/12
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.