It’s a tough life out there for a fairy tale heroine—even if you’re not being menaced by a wolf disguised as your Grandma, slaving away at the behest of an evil stepfamily, or escaping from a witch’s tower using your own hair as a rope, you have to constantly be on the lookout for poison apples, enchanted spindles and other everyday objects lying in wait to f*ck up your day. On Alice in Wonderland, the first Booth feature from Gensu Dean, David Banner offers to shelter a certain shawty from life’s perils, magical and otherwise. Over the Mello Music Group beatsmith’s whip-ready production, featuring Southern-fried guitar twangs, a liquid bassline and sampled female sighs, the Mississippi rapper/producer juxtaposes references to famous female characters from children’s stories with the all-too-real threats facing women and girls in today’s society—including desperate poverty, prosititution and sexual abuse. If this album standout has caught your interest, you can hear plenty more where Alice came from on Gensu Dean’s Lo-Fi Fingahz LP, featuring additional guest appearances by Large Professor, Roc Marciano, DMC and more!
Written by richard on 04/5/12
Submit your Rating
Mello Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.