GemStones? Like I want to listen to that guy. Actually, forgive my Sarcasm. *Ahem*. After a nearly two year mini-retirement, his last featured cut was 2008’s Underappreciated, Gem is back with his new track Sarcasm (incorrectly being called My Hood elsewhere), a biting joint that delivers poignant commentary about our society through a medium we can all relate to: cynicism. Lyrically the Chicago artist paints a clear picture of his feeling about what’s going on in the world today: “I wouldn’t trade this life for all the world, it’s too beautiful / Look at all the brutal things police been getting to do to you / Box you in a cubicle until you’re institutional.” Gem’s ability to translate this message into satire is emphasized through some hauntingly smooth production – coming to us from a mysterious producer even Gem doesn’t know the identity of - that takes the track to another level. If you liked this, be sure to keep a lookout for his upcoming project On the Road to Glory: My Story, coming soon. Come on, like you have anything better to do.
Written by Sigurd on 03/24/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We On ft. Lupe Fiasco & Pooh Bear" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.