The opening tune of a familiar soap opera is the perfect lead-in for GemStones’s appropriately-titled Skeletons, a lyrical look at the parts of our lives that we may all be hiding. On the new record, the Chi-Town emcee pulls a few bones out of a few closets, discussing self-medication with drugs, the sale of one’s body for a chance to buy the freshest kicks, and the self-hatred that results from this behavior. Producer Fallen Angels provides a melodic beat and fellow Chi-Town representative Sarah Green (see Lupe Fiasco‘s Intruder Alert) adds a chillingly soulful hook. Although there are some that lead completely honest lives, GemStones is calling out the rest of the nation on the metaphorical graveyards in their closets. GemStones’s new mixtape, The Testimony of GemStones, is due out on June 7.
Written by Erica L. on 06/2/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We On ft. Lupe Fiasco & Pooh Bear" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.