The opening tune of a familiar soap opera is the perfect lead-in for GemStones’s appropriately-titled Skeletons, a lyrical look at the parts of our lives that we may all be hiding. On the new record, the Chi-Town emcee pulls a few bones out of a few closets, discussing self-medication with drugs, the sale of one’s body for a chance to buy the freshest kicks, and the self-hatred that results from this behavior. Producer Fallen Angels provides a melodic beat and fellow Chi-Town representative Sarah Green (see Lupe Fiasco‘s Intruder Alert) adds a chillingly soulful hook. Although there are some that lead completely honest lives, GemStones is calling out the rest of the nation on the metaphorical graveyards in their closets. GemStones’s new mixtape, The Testimony of GemStones, is due out on June 7.
Written by Erica L. on 06/2/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"We On ft. Lupe Fiasco & Pooh Bear" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.