You only get one shot at a first impression, which is why, when introducing yourself to the Booth community, you better come with it. Newcomer Gee Watts does in fact come with it on Watts R.I.O.T—and by “it” I mean the hottest emcee in the game, Kendrick Lamar. Atop a GKMC-esque beat from Sounwave, boasting a grungy, street sound blended with a slightly cloudy, kushed-out vibe, Watts achieves something few of K.Dot’s collaborators can say they have done: he avoids getting completely bodied by Kendrick on his own song. Sure, the TDE leader (whose B***h Don’t Kill My Vibe Remix currently tops our Rap Chart) is flawless as usual, but Watts’ vivid wordplay and grimy style keep him toe-to-toe with the hip-hop giant and make this cut a must-have for any one who digs Kendrick’s elegant, street-friendly style. Watts R.I.O.T is set to appear on Gee’s latest project, Watts Up, scheduled for release early next month.
Written by Lucas G. on 03/26/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"199x (Sixteen Nineteen)" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.