You only get one shot at a first impression, which is why, when introducing yourself to the Booth community, you better come with it. Newcomer Gee Watts does in fact come with it on Watts R.I.O.T—and by “it” I mean the hottest emcee in the game, Kendrick Lamar. Atop a GKMC-esque beat from Sounwave, boasting a grungy, street sound blended with a slightly cloudy, kushed-out vibe, Watts achieves something few of K.Dot’s collaborators can say they have done: he avoids getting completely bodied by Kendrick on his own song. Sure, the TDE leader (whose B***h Don’t Kill My Vibe Remix currently tops our Rap Chart) is flawless as usual, but Watts’ vivid wordplay and grimy style keep him toe-to-toe with the hip-hop giant and make this cut a must-have for any one who digs Kendrick’s elegant, street-friendly style. Watts R.I.O.T is set to appear on Gee’s latest project, Watts Up, scheduled for release early next month.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"199x (Sixteen Nineteen)" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.