You only get one shot at a first impression, which is why, when introducing yourself to the Booth community, you better come with it. Newcomer Gee Watts does in fact come with it on Watts R.I.O.T—and by “it” I mean the hottest emcee in the game, Kendrick Lamar. Atop a GKMC-esque beat from Sounwave, boasting a grungy, street sound blended with a slightly cloudy, kushed-out vibe, Watts achieves something few of K.Dot’s collaborators can say they have done: he avoids getting completely bodied by Kendrick on his own song. Sure, the TDE leader (whose B***h Don’t Kill My Vibe Remix currently tops our Rap Chart) is flawless as usual, but Watts’ vivid wordplay and grimy style keep him toe-to-toe with the hip-hop giant and make this cut a must-have for any one who digs Kendrick’s elegant, street-friendly style. Watts R.I.O.T is set to appear on Gee’s latest project, Watts Up, scheduled for release early next month.
Written by Lucas G. on 03/26/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"199x (Sixteen Nineteen)" (2013)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.