You only get one shot at a first impression, which is why, when introducing yourself to the Booth community, you better come with it. Newcomer Gee Watts does in fact come with it on Watts R.I.O.T—and by “it” I mean the hottest emcee in the game, Kendrick Lamar. Atop a GKMC-esque beat from Sounwave, boasting a grungy, street sound blended with a slightly cloudy, kushed-out vibe, Watts achieves something few of K.Dot’s collaborators can say they have done: he avoids getting completely bodied by Kendrick on his own song. Sure, the TDE leader (whose B***h Don’t Kill My Vibe Remix currently tops our Rap Chart) is flawless as usual, but Watts’ vivid wordplay and grimy style keep him toe-to-toe with the hip-hop giant and make this cut a must-have for any one who digs Kendrick’s elegant, street-friendly style. Watts R.I.O.T is set to appear on Gee’s latest project, Watts Up, scheduled for release early next month.
Written by Lucas G. on 03/26/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"199x (Sixteen Nineteen)" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)