It’s quite fitting that Long Island singer/emcee Gator Young would introduce himself with world premiere single I’m Free, a friendly “hello world” effort that doubly serves as his Booth debut. On I’m Free, Gator (yes he’s from Long Island and not the Nawlins backwoods) meticulously works his way from emcee to singer, gliding in a Drake-like manner back and forth between dropping verses and provides the song with its hook. It’s always an fascinating musical juncture when an emcee must transition from rapper to singer mid-song, as the results are usually highly on the cringeworthy side or an audible pleasure. Thankfully for Gator Young it’s the latter. While the Long Island musician doesn’t jump on the hook with memorable powerhouse vocals he does boast a unique voice. Keeping with I’m Free‘s celebratory vibe is production from Kasual Kas of Queeny Entertainment. At the moment I’m Free isn’t attached to any larger project from the dual threat.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!