It’s quite fitting that Long Island singer/emcee Gator Young would introduce himself with world premiere single I’m Free, a friendly “hello world” effort that doubly serves as his Booth debut. On I’m Free, Gator (yes he’s from Long Island and not the Nawlins backwoods) meticulously works his way from emcee to singer, gliding in a Drake-like manner back and forth between dropping verses and provides the song with its hook. It’s always an fascinating musical juncture when an emcee must transition from rapper to singer mid-song, as the results are usually highly on the cringeworthy side or an audible pleasure. Thankfully for Gator Young it’s the latter. While the Long Island musician doesn’t jump on the hook with memorable powerhouse vocals he does boast a unique voice. Keeping with I’m Free‘s celebratory vibe is production from Kasual Kas of Queeny Entertainment. At the moment I’m Free isn’t attached to any larger project from the dual threat.
Written by Danielle H. on 08/1/12
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.