It’s quite fitting that Long Island singer/emcee Gator Young would introduce himself with world premiere single I’m Free, a friendly “hello world” effort that doubly serves as his Booth debut. On I’m Free, Gator (yes he’s from Long Island and not the Nawlins backwoods) meticulously works his way from emcee to singer, gliding in a Drake-like manner back and forth between dropping verses and provides the song with its hook. It’s always an fascinating musical juncture when an emcee must transition from rapper to singer mid-song, as the results are usually highly on the cringeworthy side or an audible pleasure. Thankfully for Gator Young it’s the latter. While the Long Island musician doesn’t jump on the hook with memorable powerhouse vocals he does boast a unique voice. Keeping with I’m Free‘s celebratory vibe is production from Kasual Kas of Queeny Entertainment. At the moment I’m Free isn’t attached to any larger project from the dual threat.
Written by Danielle H. on 08/1/12
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.