It’s quite fitting that Long Island singer/emcee Gator Young would introduce himself with world premiere single I’m Free, a friendly “hello world” effort that doubly serves as his Booth debut. On I’m Free, Gator (yes he’s from Long Island and not the Nawlins backwoods) meticulously works his way from emcee to singer, gliding in a Drake-like manner back and forth between dropping verses and provides the song with its hook. It’s always an fascinating musical juncture when an emcee must transition from rapper to singer mid-song, as the results are usually highly on the cringeworthy side or an audible pleasure. Thankfully for Gator Young it’s the latter. While the Long Island musician doesn’t jump on the hook with memorable powerhouse vocals he does boast a unique voice. Keeping with I’m Free‘s celebratory vibe is production from Kasual Kas of Queeny Entertainment. At the moment I’m Free isn’t attached to any larger project from the dual threat.
Written by Danielle H. on 08/1/12
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.