As you’d expect from a group that calls itself Gangrene, the music that’s come from The Alchemist and Oh No‘s joint efforts has been darker than a black hole and dirtier than Gutter Water. But on new single Drink Up the duo switch things up substantially, crafting a dancefloor ready jam guaranteed to be a hit at expensive nightclubs everywhere. I’m sorry, I’m just kidding. Really had you for a second there, huh? Gangrere is as rough as ever on Drink Up; this one is paired best with black label whiskey, not Patron shots. In addition to doing double duty and grabbing the mic for a Marmaduke–referencing verse, Alchemist lays down a distorted, dystopian beat more likely to spark bar fights than dance battles. Also putting in work on the mic is Oh No, who somehow manages to make even a Phil Collins shout out sound tough, and Roc Marciano, who’s no stranger to The DJBooth guest verses on unf**kwitable tracks. Fans can expect to hear much more nihilistic hip-hop, and absolutely no auto-tuned club jams, on Gangrene’s upcoming album Vodka & Ayahuaska, dropping this Tuesday, January 24, and available for pre-order now.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/22/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gutter Water" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.