As you’d expect from a group that calls itself Gangrene, the music that’s come from The Alchemist and Oh No‘s joint efforts has been darker than a black hole and dirtier than Gutter Water. But on new single Drink Up the duo switch things up substantially, crafting a dancefloor ready jam guaranteed to be a hit at expensive nightclubs everywhere. I’m sorry, I’m just kidding. Really had you for a second there, huh? Gangrere is as rough as ever on Drink Up; this one is paired best with black label whiskey, not Patron shots. In addition to doing double duty and grabbing the mic for a Marmaduke–referencing verse, Alchemist lays down a distorted, dystopian beat more likely to spark bar fights than dance battles. Also putting in work on the mic is Oh No, who somehow manages to make even a Phil Collins shout out sound tough, and Roc Marciano, who’s no stranger to The DJBooth guest verses on unf**kwitable tracks. Fans can expect to hear much more nihilistic hip-hop, and absolutely no auto-tuned club jams, on Gangrene’s upcoming album Vodka & Ayahuaska, dropping this Tuesday, January 24, and available for pre-order now.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/22/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gutter Water" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.