As you’d expect from a group that calls itself Gangrene, the music that’s come from The Alchemist and Oh No‘s joint efforts has been darker than a black hole and dirtier than Gutter Water. But on new single Drink Up the duo switch things up substantially, crafting a dancefloor ready jam guaranteed to be a hit at expensive nightclubs everywhere. I’m sorry, I’m just kidding. Really had you for a second there, huh? Gangrere is as rough as ever on Drink Up; this one is paired best with black label whiskey, not Patron shots. In addition to doing double duty and grabbing the mic for a Marmaduke–referencing verse, Alchemist lays down a distorted, dystopian beat more likely to spark bar fights than dance battles. Also putting in work on the mic is Oh No, who somehow manages to make even a Phil Collins shout out sound tough, and Roc Marciano, who’s no stranger to The DJBooth guest verses on unf**kwitable tracks. Fans can expect to hear much more nihilistic hip-hop, and absolutely no auto-tuned club jams, on Gangrene’s upcoming album Vodka & Ayahuaska, dropping this Tuesday, January 24, and available for pre-order now.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/22/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gutter Water" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.