As you’d expect from a group that calls itself Gangrene, the music that’s come from The Alchemist and Oh No‘s joint efforts has been darker than a black hole and dirtier than Gutter Water. But on new single Drink Up the duo switch things up substantially, crafting a dancefloor ready jam guaranteed to be a hit at expensive nightclubs everywhere. I’m sorry, I’m just kidding. Really had you for a second there, huh? Gangrere is as rough as ever on Drink Up; this one is paired best with black label whiskey, not Patron shots. In addition to doing double duty and grabbing the mic for a Marmaduke–referencing verse, Alchemist lays down a distorted, dystopian beat more likely to spark bar fights than dance battles. Also putting in work on the mic is Oh No, who somehow manages to make even a Phil Collins shout out sound tough, and Roc Marciano, who’s no stranger to The DJBooth guest verses on unf**kwitable tracks. Fans can expect to hear much more nihilistic hip-hop, and absolutely no auto-tuned club jams, on Gangrene’s upcoming album Vodka & Ayahuaska, dropping this Tuesday, January 24, and available for pre-order now.
Written by Nathan S. on 01/22/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Gutter Water" (2010)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)