Forgive me for being predictable but, damn, where did the summer go? Though students only have another week or so to get in all the swimming, barbecuing and miscellaneous warm-weather recreation as possible, there’s a silver lining to the big, black cloud that is the start of the school year: namely, weekly tunes from Freshman of the Year emcee Gameboi. On the first entry in his Back to School Mondays series, the 15-year-old rap wunderkind joins forces with a couple fellow Ann Arbor reppers to prove that his home city’s got the game under Lock & Key. Though Obie Iyoha and freestyle alum Buff1 both come correct, it’s clear who’s in the driver’s seat; Gameboi commands attention on the middle, lacing Vaughan T.‘s stuttering synth-sample groove with inventive boasts and audacious rhymes: “A couple tricks up my sleeve, I got more than one / Your flow is nonexistent, I call it Florida plum / or a Georgia orange, bust out the door hinge…” Singer/songwriter/rapper/dancer (Damn, that’s a lot of slashes.) L05 rounds out the lineup, delivering a hook that drips with self-assured swagger. Has Gameboi’s latest effort left you feeling a little better about returning to your studies this fall? Then stay tuned for more dope leaks every Monday from now till November.
Written by richard on 08/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Act Right" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.