Forgive me for being predictable but, damn, where did the summer go? Though students only have another week or so to get in all the swimming, barbecuing and miscellaneous warm-weather recreation as possible, there’s a silver lining to the big, black cloud that is the start of the school year: namely, weekly tunes from Freshman of the Year emcee Gameboi. On the first entry in his Back to School Mondays series, the 15-year-old rap wunderkind joins forces with a couple fellow Ann Arbor reppers to prove that his home city’s got the game under Lock & Key. Though Obie Iyoha and freestyle alum Buff1 both come correct, it’s clear who’s in the driver’s seat; Gameboi commands attention on the middle, lacing Vaughan T.‘s stuttering synth-sample groove with inventive boasts and audacious rhymes: “A couple tricks up my sleeve, I got more than one / Your flow is nonexistent, I call it Florida plum / or a Georgia orange, bust out the door hinge…” Singer/songwriter/rapper/dancer (Damn, that’s a lot of slashes.) L05 rounds out the lineup, delivering a hook that drips with self-assured swagger. Has Gameboi’s latest effort left you feeling a little better about returning to your studies this fall? Then stay tuned for more dope leaks every Monday from now till November.
Written by richard on 08/22/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Act Right" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)