Forgive me for being predictable but, damn, where did the summer go? Though students only have another week or so to get in all the swimming, barbecuing and miscellaneous warm-weather recreation as possible, there’s a silver lining to the big, black cloud that is the start of the school year: namely, weekly tunes from Freshman of the Year emcee Gameboi. On the first entry in his Back to School Mondays series, the 15-year-old rap wunderkind joins forces with a couple fellow Ann Arbor reppers to prove that his home city’s got the game under Lock & Key. Though Obie Iyoha and freestyle alum Buff1 both come correct, it’s clear who’s in the driver’s seat; Gameboi commands attention on the middle, lacing Vaughan T.‘s stuttering synth-sample groove with inventive boasts and audacious rhymes: “A couple tricks up my sleeve, I got more than one / Your flow is nonexistent, I call it Florida plum / or a Georgia orange, bust out the door hinge…” Singer/songwriter/rapper/dancer (Damn, that’s a lot of slashes.) L05 rounds out the lineup, delivering a hook that drips with self-assured swagger. Has Gameboi’s latest effort left you feeling a little better about returning to your studies this fall? Then stay tuned for more dope leaks every Monday from now till November.
Written by richard on 08/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Act Right" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.