Forgive me for being predictable but, damn, where did the summer go? Though students only have another week or so to get in all the swimming, barbecuing and miscellaneous warm-weather recreation as possible, there’s a silver lining to the big, black cloud that is the start of the school year: namely, weekly tunes from Freshman of the Year emcee Gameboi. On the first entry in his Back to School Mondays series, the 15-year-old rap wunderkind joins forces with a couple fellow Ann Arbor reppers to prove that his home city’s got the game under Lock & Key. Though Obie Iyoha and freestyle alum Buff1 both come correct, it’s clear who’s in the driver’s seat; Gameboi commands attention on the middle, lacing Vaughan T.‘s stuttering synth-sample groove with inventive boasts and audacious rhymes: “A couple tricks up my sleeve, I got more than one / Your flow is nonexistent, I call it Florida plum / or a Georgia orange, bust out the door hinge…” Singer/songwriter/rapper/dancer (Damn, that’s a lot of slashes.) L05 rounds out the lineup, delivering a hook that drips with self-assured swagger. Has Gameboi’s latest effort left you feeling a little better about returning to your studies this fall? Then stay tuned for more dope leaks every Monday from now till November.
Written by richard on 08/22/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Act Right" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.