Forgive me for being predictable but, damn, where did the summer go? Though students only have another week or so to get in all the swimming, barbecuing and miscellaneous warm-weather recreation as possible, there’s a silver lining to the big, black cloud that is the start of the school year: namely, weekly tunes from Freshman of the Year emcee Gameboi. On the first entry in his Back to School Mondays series, the 15-year-old rap wunderkind joins forces with a couple fellow Ann Arbor reppers to prove that his home city’s got the game under Lock & Key. Though Obie Iyoha and freestyle alum Buff1 both come correct, it’s clear who’s in the driver’s seat; Gameboi commands attention on the middle, lacing Vaughan T.‘s stuttering synth-sample groove with inventive boasts and audacious rhymes: “A couple tricks up my sleeve, I got more than one / Your flow is nonexistent, I call it Florida plum / or a Georgia orange, bust out the door hinge…” Singer/songwriter/rapper/dancer (Damn, that’s a lot of slashes.) L05 rounds out the lineup, delivering a hook that drips with self-assured swagger. Has Gameboi’s latest effort left you feeling a little better about returning to your studies this fall? Then stay tuned for more dope leaks every Monday from now till November.
Written by richard on 08/22/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Act Right" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.