Judging strictly from the lyrics of Act Right, one might draw several conclusions about Michigan emcee and DJBooth newcomer Gameboi: he’s intellectual; he’s charismatic; he’s informed. What might have been a tad harder to deduce though, is that this kid was in middle school a year ago. Indeed, this sample-based social commentary was the brainchild of a high schooler. On Act Right, producer 14KT provides some live drums and an oriental-sounding motif as GB spits a conscious verse about fake rappers and dead Muslims. Expertly, I might add. Following on the second verse is Rapper Big Pooh, who contributes a similar public service announcement-type flow that finishes off the song nicely. Now, last week our own DJ Z remarked on big name comparisons actually being disadvantageous for the lesser known artist, however I can’t help myself (Sorry, Z): the semblance between Gameboi and conscious minds like Lupe and Asher Roth here is unmistakable. There is tremendous promise in this dude and I look forward to hearing more…like his Freshman Of The Year EP, dropping this Friday.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lock & Key" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.