Judging strictly from the lyrics of Act Right, one might draw several conclusions about Michigan emcee and DJBooth newcomer Gameboi: he’s intellectual; he’s charismatic; he’s informed. What might have been a tad harder to deduce though, is that this kid was in middle school a year ago. Indeed, this sample-based social commentary was the brainchild of a high schooler. On Act Right, producer 14KT provides some live drums and an oriental-sounding motif as GB spits a conscious verse about fake rappers and dead Muslims. Expertly, I might add. Following on the second verse is Rapper Big Pooh, who contributes a similar public service announcement-type flow that finishes off the song nicely. Now, last week our own DJ Z remarked on big name comparisons actually being disadvantageous for the lesser known artist, however I can’t help myself (Sorry, Z): the semblance between Gameboi and conscious minds like Lupe and Asher Roth here is unmistakable. There is tremendous promise in this dude and I look forward to hearing more…like his Freshman Of The Year EP, dropping this Friday.
Written by CourtlandHH on 06/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lock & Key" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.