Judging strictly from the lyrics of Act Right, one might draw several conclusions about Michigan emcee and DJBooth newcomer Gameboi: he’s intellectual; he’s charismatic; he’s informed. What might have been a tad harder to deduce though, is that this kid was in middle school a year ago. Indeed, this sample-based social commentary was the brainchild of a high schooler. On Act Right, producer 14KT provides some live drums and an oriental-sounding motif as GB spits a conscious verse about fake rappers and dead Muslims. Expertly, I might add. Following on the second verse is Rapper Big Pooh, who contributes a similar public service announcement-type flow that finishes off the song nicely. Now, last week our own DJ Z remarked on big name comparisons actually being disadvantageous for the lesser known artist, however I can’t help myself (Sorry, Z): the semblance between Gameboi and conscious minds like Lupe and Asher Roth here is unmistakable. There is tremendous promise in this dude and I look forward to hearing more…like his Freshman Of The Year EP, dropping this Friday.
Written by CourtlandHH on 06/15/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lock & Key" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.