Judging strictly from the lyrics of Act Right, one might draw several conclusions about Michigan emcee and DJBooth newcomer Gameboi: he’s intellectual; he’s charismatic; he’s informed. What might have been a tad harder to deduce though, is that this kid was in middle school a year ago. Indeed, this sample-based social commentary was the brainchild of a high schooler. On Act Right, producer 14KT provides some live drums and an oriental-sounding motif as GB spits a conscious verse about fake rappers and dead Muslims. Expertly, I might add. Following on the second verse is Rapper Big Pooh, who contributes a similar public service announcement-type flow that finishes off the song nicely. Now, last week our own DJ Z remarked on big name comparisons actually being disadvantageous for the lesser known artist, however I can’t help myself (Sorry, Z): the semblance between Gameboi and conscious minds like Lupe and Asher Roth here is unmistakable. There is tremendous promise in this dude and I look forward to hearing more…like his Freshman Of The Year EP, dropping this Friday.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lock & Key" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.