Judging strictly from the lyrics of Act Right, one might draw several conclusions about Michigan emcee and DJBooth newcomer Gameboi: he’s intellectual; he’s charismatic; he’s informed. What might have been a tad harder to deduce though, is that this kid was in middle school a year ago. Indeed, this sample-based social commentary was the brainchild of a high schooler. On Act Right, producer 14KT provides some live drums and an oriental-sounding motif as GB spits a conscious verse about fake rappers and dead Muslims. Expertly, I might add. Following on the second verse is Rapper Big Pooh, who contributes a similar public service announcement-type flow that finishes off the song nicely. Now, last week our own DJ Z remarked on big name comparisons actually being disadvantageous for the lesser known artist, however I can’t help myself (Sorry, Z): the semblance between Gameboi and conscious minds like Lupe and Asher Roth here is unmistakable. There is tremendous promise in this dude and I look forward to hearing more…like his Freshman Of The Year EP, dropping this Friday.
Written by CourtlandHH on 06/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Lock & Key" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.