When I see a couple who are constantly at each other’s throats, my initial reaction is somewhere along the lines of “Sucks to be them.” Looks, however, can be deceiving—for example, the Make Up Sex may be so fantastic that their constant bickering is a net positive. Such is the case for Booth newcomer G-Eazy, who hips us to the upside of stormy relationships on the latest promo cut off his forthcoming digital album. On this upbeat jam, the Bay Area native does double-duty on the mic and behind the boards, flipping New Orleans indie-soul group The Generationals’ thematically-appropriate When They Fight, They Fight into a fresh, retro-informed backdrop for his engaging bars. Lyrically, Eazy keeps it as smooth and witty as his slicked-up fashion sense would suggest, describing how his constant battles with his chronically (and justifiably) mistrustful girl only makes their reconciliations all the sweeter—and encourages him to run around behind her back yet again. Healthy? Perhaps not—but it certainly does make for an entertaining record. For more catchy cuts, check out the artist’s latest LP, The Endless Summer, when it hits the ‘net for free download August 9.
Written by richard on 08/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"All I Could Do" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.