When I first saw that G-Eazy’s new single was titled Lost in Translation I prepared to make a series of jokes about the Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson flick of the same name, until I saw the cover art and pressed play. Huh, looks like the track actually does reference the movie and samples hit single PONPONPON by Japanese pop singer ?????????? (aka Kyary Pamyu Pamyu). After watching the frankly insane original I didn’t think it was possible to translate the track into English hip-hop, but Eazy remarkably pulls it off, recruiting producers Swiss Chriss and Christoph Andersson to man the boards alongside him and flip the track into a bouncing but still anchored beat. On the mic Eazy plays the international man of luxury role, pausing in his cross-Pacific pursuits only long enough to shout out Scarlett Johansson’s a*s (good call). While this cinematic affair isn’t tied to a larger project, those in the market for yet more Eazy living should check out his recent The Endless Summer album, available for free stream and download right now.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/19/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make-Up Sex" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.