When I first saw that G-Eazy’s new single was titled Lost in Translation I prepared to make a series of jokes about the Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson flick of the same name, until I saw the cover art and pressed play. Huh, looks like the track actually does reference the movie and samples hit single PONPONPON by Japanese pop singer ?????????? (aka Kyary Pamyu Pamyu). After watching the frankly insane original I didn’t think it was possible to translate the track into English hip-hop, but Eazy remarkably pulls it off, recruiting producers Swiss Chriss and Christoph Andersson to man the boards alongside him and flip the track into a bouncing but still anchored beat. On the mic Eazy plays the international man of luxury role, pausing in his cross-Pacific pursuits only long enough to shout out Scarlett Johansson’s a*s (good call). While this cinematic affair isn’t tied to a larger project, those in the market for yet more Eazy living should check out his recent The Endless Summer album, available for free stream and download right now.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make-Up Sex" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.