When I first saw that G-Eazy’s new single was titled Lost in Translation I prepared to make a series of jokes about the Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson flick of the same name, until I saw the cover art and pressed play. Huh, looks like the track actually does reference the movie and samples hit single PONPONPON by Japanese pop singer ?????????? (aka Kyary Pamyu Pamyu). After watching the frankly insane original I didn’t think it was possible to translate the track into English hip-hop, but Eazy remarkably pulls it off, recruiting producers Swiss Chriss and Christoph Andersson to man the boards alongside him and flip the track into a bouncing but still anchored beat. On the mic Eazy plays the international man of luxury role, pausing in his cross-Pacific pursuits only long enough to shout out Scarlett Johansson’s a*s (good call). While this cinematic affair isn’t tied to a larger project, those in the market for yet more Eazy living should check out his recent The Endless Summer album, available for free stream and download right now.
Written by Nathan S. on 12/19/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make-Up Sex" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.