Oft imitated but never equaled, the DJBooth Freestyle Series ran from February 2009 through June 2011. Its 250 total entries came courtesy of a veritable who’s-who of underground and emerging emcees, including rising stars like Kendrick Lamar, Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller. Now, it’s back for a second round. The fifth entry in the recently-relaunched series comes courtesy of Fundament, the Toronto rhymesayer who earned reader acclaim for Magnifying Glass back in October of 2013. On Distilled, Da-P‘s ambient synths and heavily-syncopated percussion set the stage for tongue-twisting bars forecasting the emcee’s future success in the game (“I told DJ Z I’m gonna be Jay Z by 2018.”). Fundament has yet to announce his plans for the new year, but fans can hear more from him on the recent, DJBooth-hosted Fundament x Fameless EP.
Written by richard on 01/7/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Stop" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.