Oft imitated but never equaled, the DJBooth Freestyle Series ran from February 2009 through June 2011. Its 250 total entries came courtesy of a veritable who’s-who of underground and emerging emcees, including rising stars like Kendrick Lamar, Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller. Now, it’s back for a second round. The fifth entry in the recently-relaunched series comes courtesy of Fundament, the Toronto rhymesayer who earned reader acclaim for Magnifying Glass back in October of 2013. On Distilled, Da-P‘s ambient synths and heavily-syncopated percussion set the stage for tongue-twisting bars forecasting the emcee’s future success in the game (“I told DJ Z I’m gonna be Jay Z by 2018.”). Fundament has yet to announce his plans for the new year, but fans can hear more from him on the recent, DJBooth-hosted Fundament x Fameless EP.
Written by richard on 01/7/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Stop" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.